‘Punch’ was the most well read satirical magazine of the Victorian era. It commenced in the 1840s as a stout defender of Free Trade and Liberalism, although later turned to support the Conservatives.
In 1868 a version of the journal was started in Chichester under the name ‘The Chichester Punch’, claiming it was the ‘son’ of its ‘honoured father’, and that such a publication was needed to counter the Chichester Courier (forerunner of the Chichester Observer), which it dismissed as a ‘weak-ly’ paper.
The Chichester Punch claimed to have offices at ‘Punch Office’ in North Street. It would seem that its publication coincided with the General Election of 1868. It is not known whether publication continued after the election.