Latest News and Issues
- Restoration Man – Cedric Mitchell on the implications of being the owner of a Historic Listed Building – view here
- A Wall Walk was enjoyed on 14 May with guide Anne Scicluna. A report on the walk appeared in the Association’s recent Occasional Newsletter – a gallery of the pictures taken can be viewed here
- City Councillor responds to Pallants RA’s views on the ‘Vision’ here
- The Association has joined forces with Newtown Residents’ Assocation to fight the planning applications relating to the Corn Exchanges and Baffins Lane eg see here
- The Residents’ Association has provided a response to the District Council’s ‘Vision for Chichester’. It is available here
- Tackling the problems with Trade Deliveries – some progress made – see here
The Pallants Residents’ Association was formed in January 2016 to protect and enhance the four historic Pallant streets which have been under constant threat, particularly from heavy lorries delivering to the business in East Street, but also from peripheral commercial developments in the neighborhood.
For further information on what led to the RA’s formation see the article by resident and Society member Cedric Mitchell on page 17 in the June 2016 issue of the Chichester Society Newsletter
This page and associated links are provided to support the activities of our RA and inform the wider community about the RA’s activities.
Some Background to the area
Why are the Pallants important? They are at the historic and cultural centre of Chichester. The origins of the Pallants dates back to at least the middle ages when the South East sector of the city belonged to the Church. Originally named the Palatine (from the word palatial) the name became corrupted to the Pallants and consisted of the four streets we have now.
In 1578 the streets of Chichester were paved under an Act of Parliament. In the eighteenth century Chichester went through something of a renaissance and many houses in the Pallants were gentrified. Among the houses built at this time was Dodo House which was built for Henry Peckam, a wine merchant, in 1712. This is of course now the Pallant Gallery. Since then it has continued to be an area for wealthy merchants and professional people. Today probably a majority of the buildings in the Pallants are listed grade II and all four Pallants have historic paving. The Pallants are also a conservation area. Theatre Lane provides a mainly pedestrian link from South Pallant to South Street.