Archives

Chichester Heritage Trails – A journey through 2000 years of history

Chichester’s four principal streets still mainly follow the pattern of the Roman settlement, founded nearly two thousand years ago. The city walls – remarkably intact for an English town – also follow the Roman plan and contain masonry from the original construction.
The Society has produced eight heritage trails in downloadable and digital form covering the following topics:
Trails 1 to 4 – Buildings in the four quadrants of the City
Trail 5 – Inns, Pubs and Hotels
Trail 6 – Chichester during the Civil War 1642-1646
Trail 7 – Churches and Chapels
Trail 8 – Notable Chichester People

Each trail is described below and is available as:

The first four city centre trails explore each of Chichester’s historic quadrants that are divided by the four principal thoroughfares of North, South, East and West streets. Each quadrant has its own special atmosphere and distinctive history. A great rebuilding from the late seventeenth century, replaced timber-framed thatched houses with the characteristic Georgian street scene of brick and stucco buildings that exist today.

 

CHT-download_btn-Trail1Trail 1 – North-West Quadrant

The North-West Quadrant was, prior to the eighteenth century, dominated by market gardens and livestock farming, including slaughterhouses. Today, among the older buildings, are the modern administrative centres of a county town, including County Hall, Chichester Library and the Novium Museum.

A digital version of the Trail is available here. When producing this version the opportunity was taken to slightly vary the route to make it easier to follow. 

Trail 2 – North-East Quadrant

CHT-download_btn-Trail2This part of Chichester once had five churches and a Franciscan Priory; today three of the churches have been lost and the remaining two, along with the priory chapel have been converted to secular uses. The open greenery of Priory Park, framed by the city walls give a sense of space and peace to the north-east quadrant.

A digital version of the Trail is available here. When producing this version the opportunity was taken to add additional guidance and information so the numbering does not fully correspond with the printed/downloaded version.

Trail 3 – South-East Quadrant

CHT-download_btn-Trail3This is very much a walk or two contrasting halves: there are the former inns and chapels of East Street, South Street and the New Town area and the pristine Georgian solemnity of the Pallants area. The former has changed markedly in recent decades, while the Pallants has changed very little, remaining a bastion of high quality housing and offices for professional workers.

A digital version of the Trail is available here.

Trail 4 – South-West Quadrant

CHT-download_btn-Trail4Chichester’s south-west quadrant is dominated by the cathedral and the Cathedral Close. Here Edmund Blunden beheld “its own simple character of communicative quietness,” while E.V.  Lucas observed that, “whatever noise may be in the air you know in your heart that quietude is its true character.” Even in 2016 these statements still hold true. As well as the Close and the cloisters of the cathedral, there are also the Bishop’s gardens to enjoy.  As well as the Close and the cathedral cloisters, you can enjoy the Bishop’s gardens too.

A digital version of the Trail is available here.  

Trail 5 – Inns, Pubs and Hotels

Chichester’s earliest inns can be traced back to mediaeval times when they catered for pilgrims visiting the shrine of St Richard in the cathedral. Over time they came to serve all types of travellers, who needed rest and food after travelling along the notoriously bad Sussex roads. By the middle of the seventeenth century there were seven inns in Chichester, as well as 50 alehouses, taverns, and other premises that sold drink. Given the population was only 2,000 people at the time, of whom over half were women and children, it can be seen that Chichester was a boozy city and remained so until the beginning of the twentieth century. Today there are only a dozen public houses in the city centre and no inns. Many of the city’s old inns have been converted into restaurants or private accommodation. This trail includes both former as well as current pubs and inns. We begin at the western end of West Street.

A digital version of the Trail is available hereAdditional pubs and photos have been added to the Trail so the numbering does not fully correspond to the paper version.

Trail 6 – Chichester during the Civil War 1642-1646

Many wealthy royalists lived in Chichester, or at least had homes in the city, including Sir John Morley, Sir Thomas Boyer and Christopher Lewknor. Opposing them were Henry Chitty, the captain of the local militia, known as the trained band, and the MP for Midhurst, William Cawley.

This leaflet describes the beginnings of the English Civil War and in particular the impact it had on Chichester and the roles played by these individuals.  Four of the main buildings and locations involved in this event are cited and form a trail that can be followed from the North to the East and finally to the South finishing at the Cathedral.

A flow chart of the events in the form of a time line is available to accompany the leaflet – this plus additional information about these times can be found here

A digital version of the Trail is available here

Trail 7 – Churches and Chapels

Chichester once had nine parish churches, catering for a
population, that in the seventeenth century, did not exceed
2,000 inhabitants. Today only two churches, St Paul’s, and
St Pancras, are still open for worship. As well as the Anglican churches, there were a number of non-conformist chapels that are also included in this trail. Churches and their clergy played apivotal role in the life of the city. A person’s social standing, as well as their piety, could be judged by the church they attended. Anglicans, Methodists, and Baptists often lived separate social as well as religious lives. The city’s Roman Catholics were the most  marginalised of all religious denominations – a situation that persisted within living memory.

A digital version of the Trail is available here

Trail 8 – Notable Chichester People

Over the centuries many talented people have either lived in
Chichester or had close connections with the city. Some of 
them are still household names, while others have become more obscure. This selection seeks to cast the net wide, and include people who made a big impact on the city during their own day and those whose contribution has become more apparent with the passing of time. You will find here writers, artists, philanthropists, and holy men.

A digital version of the Trail is available here

Digital Trail 8 – Chichester Personalities

Introduction

Over the centuries many talented people have either lived in Chichester or had close connections with the city. Some of them are still household names, while others have become more obscure. This selection seeks to cast the net wide and include people who made a big impact on the city during their own day and those whose contribution has become more apparent with the passing of time. You will find here writers, artists, philanthropists, and holy men. Hopefully you will be inspired to read further about these diverse but talented personalities.

You will find a digital Trail for these personalities at the end of this page – but first the tragic story of Fanny Cornworth.

Fanny Cornforth

Fanny Cornforth (1835–1909) was the model, muse and mistress of the Pre-Raphaelite painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti. After the death of Rossetti’s wife, Elizabeth Siddal in 1862, Cornforth moved in as Rossetti’s housekeeper. She later fell on hard times and ended her life at Graylingwell Hospital (the West Sussex County Asylum), on the outskirts of Chichester.

Cornforth was born Sarah Cox, the daughter of a Steyning blacksmith. As a young woman she worked in service in Brighton. It is believed that she first met Rossetti in 1858. The circumstances are not clear, but she already had one marriage behind her, to a man named Hughes. She had, for whatever reason, adopted the alias Fanny Cornforth. Rossetti saw in her his feminine ideal: her image appears in some of Rossetti’s most famous paintings, including, Lady Lilith, Fair Rosamund, Bocca Baciata, and The Blue Bower.

By 1876 Rossetti, addicted to drugs and in declining health, was an increasing concern to his family, who stepped in to care for him. The family sought to limit the contact between Rossetti and Cornforth.

In 1879, Cornforth married a publican called John Schott and together they ran a pub called The Rose Tavern in Westminster. Yet Cornforth continued to see Rossetti, accompanying him on a trip to Cumbria in 1881. The following year Rossetti died. Before his death he gave Cornforth a number of his paintings. In the following years she was able to sell these paintings to secure extra income for herself and her husband.

John Schott died in 1891, followed eight years later by his stepson, with whom Cornforth continued to live. She then returned to Sussex. Her sister-in-law through Rossetti, Rosa Villiers, does seem to have given Cornforth limited support, but by 1905, Cornforth was living in the workhouse at Chichester. Two years later, under her married name of Sarah Hughes, she was admitted to the county asylum, where she was diagnosed with dementia. Nothing was known of her background at the time and her later life remained shrouded in mystery until details about her final years in Chichester were discovered in 2015. She died in 1909 and was buried in an unmarked grave in Chichester Cemetery: a sad end for a woman once known to the Pre-Raphaelite artists as ‘The Stunner.’

Further information on Fanny Cornforth and some of the other people included in this trail leaflet can be found at West Sussex Record Office and Chichester Library.

INTERACTIVE MAP FOR TRAIL 8

Below is an interactive map for Trail 8 covering Chichester personalities.

Note – there has been a change to the route from stop 9 compared to the printed version of the Trail and additional pictures and information have been added.

To view the map you are recommended to enlarge it by clicking on the four-cornered symbol in the top right hand corner

Start by clicking on the pedestrian and follow the instructions moving from marker tdo marker.

Digital Trail 7 – Churches, Chapels and places of worship

The Trail visits fifteen locations relating to places of worship and you can access the digital version at the end of this page.  First, however, a brief overview and a short biography of a notable personage who became sexton and verger at the Cathedral.
Introduction

Chichester once had nine parish churches, catering for a population, that in the seventeenth century, did not exceed 2,000 inhabitants. Today only two of these churches, St Paul’s, and St Pancras, are still open for worship. As well as the Anglican churches, there were a number of nonconformist chapels that are also included in this trail. Churches and their clergy played a pivotal role in the life of the city. A person’s social standing, as well as their piety, could be judged by the church they attended. Anglicans, Methodists, and Baptists often lived separate social as well as religious lives. The city’s Roman Catholics were the most marginalised of all religious denominations – a situation that persisted within living memory.

The Shoemaker poet

A humble Chichester shoemaker, who left school at eleven, went on to become a poet of some renown, as well as becoming sexton and verger of Chichester Cathedral. Charles Crocker was born in Chichester in 1797 of poor parents. At the age of seven he was fortunate enough to win a place at the city’s Grey Coat Charity School (not to be confused with the more famous Blue Coat school). Here he learned “those religious principles which have rendered my condition more than commonly blest”. At the age of eleven, Crocker was apprenticed to a Chichester shoemaker and remained in that employment until he was forty-seven, latterly at a premises in Little London.

During these years, Crocker began to write poetry. He wrote of the landscape about him, including the trees and beauty spots he came to know and love so well. His two best received poems were ‘The British Oak’ and ‘Kingley Vale’. He found his inspiration in the poetry of Oliver Goldsmith, Wiliam Cowper, and the Chichester poet, William Collins. Crocker was hugely influenced by a lecture given in Chichester by the polymath and political reformer, John Thelwall, on the life and work of John Milton. This one lecture, Crocker later claimed, inspired him to write verse more than any book he ever read.

A Chichester doctor, John Forbes, befriended Crocker, and encouraged him to publish some of his poems. Crocker’s collection, ‘Kingley Vale and other Poems’, appeared in 1830, to much acclaim. In one poem, ‘Labour and the Muse’, Crocker described how verse came to his mind as he worked:

How sweetly pass the solitary hours,
When prison’d here with toil I sit and muse
My fancy roving ‘mong poetic flowers,
Delighted with their beauteous forms and hues.

Forbes went on to become Physician to the Queen’s Household and was knighted by Queen Victoria. It was perhaps through Forbes’ London connections that Crocker was introduced to Robert Southey, who declared that Crocker’s ‘To the British Oak’, was “one of the finest, if not the finest [poem], in the English language”. Crocker was now earning a good living as a poet and in 1844 he finally gave up shoemaking.

Crocker did not leave his beloved Chichester for the bright lights of London, but actually rooted himself more deeply in the city and its history. He became both sexton and verger of Chichester Cathedral. In 1848 he published ‘Visit to Chichester Cathedral’, the first ever guide book to the cathedral. As he grew older, Crocker delighted in taking visitors around the cathedral and telling them of its history and showing them the shrines and ornaments of that ancient place of worship. The collapse of the cathedral spire in 1861 greatly distressed Crocker, and it was said to have contributed to his untimely death later that year.

Crocker lived at 28 South Street and today there is a blue plaque on the building that commemorates his life in the city.

INTERACTIVE MAP FOR TRAIL 7

To view the map you are recommended to enlarge it by clicking on the four-cornered symbol in the top right hand corner

Note that some additional information has been provided for stop 3 St Cyriac’s from here

Your starting point is the pedestrian symbol in  West Street. Click on marker 1 and follow the trail line and marker numbers in sequence clicking on each marker for more information about the building or object.

Digital Trail 6 – Chichester during the Civil War 1642-1646

The Trail visits five locations relating to the Civil War in Chichester and you can access the digital version at the end of this page. However, these locations and the events that took place need first to be set in the context of the Civil War across England.

Civil War in England

The outbreak of civil war in England during the summer of 1642 was the culmination of decades of simmering resentment that took many forms. Politically, the nation was divided between those who supported the right of King Charles I to rule on his own without recourse to parliament, known as the ‘Divine Right of Kings’; and those who believed that laws, and particularly taxation, should not be imposed without the consent of parliament. In religious terms, the King sought, through his archbishop, William Laud, to ‘uphold the dignity of the clergy’, and to reintroduce practices that seemed reminiscent of the ritual and liturgy of Roman Catholicism.

Amongst those who resisted these changes were people who wished to see a more thorough reformation of the Church of England. These ‘puritans’ rejected ritual in favour of sermons and biblical study. The rising merchant class tended to support parliament, while the ‘older’ money of the country, the aristocracy and gentry, tended to support the king. The poorer people, who made up the mass of the population, were far less eager to take up the cause of either side. Civil war became inevitable when King Charles entered the House of Commons with armed soldiers, determined to arrest five of his leading critics, including Sir Arthur Haselrig, who would play an important role in the siege of Chichester in December 1642.

Roundhead soldiers, Cassel’s History of England, 1898

The Civil War began when the king raised the Royal Standard at Nottingham on 22nd August 1642. The decisive victory by parliamentary forces at the Battle of Naseby on 14th June 1645 crushed Royalist hopes of victory in the war.

The execution of King Charles I on 30th January 1649 marked the moment that Oliver Cromwell and other hardliners took power in the state. For the next eleven years, England would be a Commonwealth, without king, bishops, or a House of Lords. The Book of Common Prayer was outlawed and the traditional twelve days of feasting at Christmas were banned. England was a very different country until the Restoration of the monarchy in May 1660.

Chichester during the Civil War 1642-1646
The City from John Speed’s Map of Sussex in 1610

Royalists seize the city – November 1642

On the night of 15th November a group of royalists in Chichester led by Sir John Morley overwhelmed Chitty’s men on the city walls and seized the armoury. In a letter to William Lenthall, Speaker of the House of Commons, William Cawley described what happened –

Pikeman’s armour mid-17C (Courtesy of V&A Museum)

When we came into the street we perceived some swords drawn at the north gate of the city – where one of the guns we had from Portsmouth was placed – which swords were drawn against the gunner. We endeavoured to pacify the rage of the people, but we could not, but they then overthrew the gun from his (sic) carriage and possessed themselves of him (sic), and from thence they went to other parts of the city where the other guns were placed and possessed themselves of them also.’

Next morning, the royalist, Sir Edward Ford, High Sheriff of Sussex, arrived outside the city walls with some 1000 men, including at least 100 dragoons. The gates of the city were opened to Ford. It was clear that Chitty and Cawley and their parliamentary friends in Chichester had fallen victim to a carefully executed royalist coup. The parliamentary leaders fled the city, seeking refuge in Portsmouth.

Sir Edward then sought to gain an advantage by heading eastwards in the hope of taking Lewes for the king. A small royalist garrison was established at Arundel, while the bulk of Ford’s army continued eastwards. However they met resistance from the trained bands of Lewes at Haywards Heath. The Lewes men were outnumbered at least four to one, but they fought with ‘great fierceness’, inflicting up to 200 casualties on the royalists. As the battle turned into a rout for the royalists, Sir Edward Ford, it was alleged, ‘conveyed himself away and left his men in the lurch to shift for themselves.

Herbert Morley gathered a growing army of volunteers and pursued Ford back into western Sussex. Arundel fell easily to the parliamentarians when ‘thirty six daring spirits’ blew in the gate of the castle with gunpowder and, with drawn swords, forced the surrender of the garrison. At the same time as Morley was heading west, the parliamentary general, Sir William Waller, with an army of 6,000 men was marching eastwards from Hampshire. The two forces converged on Chichester on 21st December 1642 and laid siege to the city.

The siege of Chichester

Wall gun, c.1640 with a later decorated stock (Courtesy of V&A Museum)

At first the royalist garrison refused to surrender and haughtily rejected terms offered by Waller. There was a rumour that Prince Rupert, King Charles’ dashing nephew was heading for Sussex with a large army. This news caused general consternation, as Rupert’s men were believed to plunder and pillage wherever they went. Despite it being winter, the weather was fair and dry, and the parliamentary forces were able to camp outside the city walls without too much discomfort. Waller placed his cannon on ‘The Broils’ (the Broyle) but the artillery overshot the city. The following day he brought his cannon to Cawley’s Almhouses ‘within half a musket-shot of the north gate, and played through the gate into the market-place’ nearer the town.

Over the next few days, skirmishes took place in the two small suburbs that, in those days, lay just outside the city walls – St Bartholomew’s by the west gate, and St Pancras, by the east gate. Fearing that the parliamentarians would enter the city from these quarters, the royalists set fire to the mainly humble cottages in these districts, forcing the parliamentarians to retreat. As Christmas came and went, it was clear that the Chichester royalists could not expect to be relieved by Prince Rupert or any other royalist army. As one puritan commentator with Waller’s army put it: ‘the papists and malignants there are now all at their witts end… they have now no way to escape unlesse they leap into the sea, which would prove but a mad Christmasse gambole.’

On the evening of the 27th December, a trumpeter was sent out from the city, requesting a ‘parley’ with General Waller. Terms for the surrender were agreed and at 7am the next morning, the gates of the city were opened to the parliamentary forces. Those who had been taken prisoner by the royalists were released and the leading royalists themselves now became Waller’s captives. The great majority of the royalist soldiers were released, some even joined Waller and Morley’s forces. Sir Edward Ford and other prominent royalists were sent to London.

It happened that Ford’s brother-in-law was Henry Ireton, who was not only a leading parliamentary general, he was also Oliver Cromwell’s son-in-law. Family ties counted for a lot, even in a time of civil war, and Ford was soon released. A year later he was again leading a royalist insurgency in Sussex, but that campaign did not affect Chichester.

As Waller and Morley’s men entered the city it began to rain – having been mild and dry for the entire siege – proof, said the puritan soldiers that the Almighty had been on their side in the conflict. A plot to blow up Waller with gunpowder in his lodgings in the city was discovered, again, by ‘God’s Providence’. Everywhere, the pious soldiery beheld the hand of a deity who was very much on the side of their ‘Good Old Cause’.

Lobster pot helmet (Courtesy of V&A Museum)

After the siege – sacrilege in the Cathedral

Sir Arthur Haselrig, Member of Parliament and a devout puritan, was present at the siege and afterwards led his men on a rampage through the cathedral. Statues and paintings were defaced and the cathedral plate plundered. On discovering some of the most precious treasures of the cathedral, hidden behind wooden panelling, Sir Arthur allowed himself a little dance of joy, exclaiming as the plate was revealed, ‘Hark boys! It rattles! It rattles!’ What to the clergy of the cathedral was a terrible sacrilege to Haselrig was a justified assault on ‘idolatry and popery.’

Chichester remained a parliamentary garrison until 1646, by which time the war in England was effectively at an end and the king defeated. There were many complaints in the city and the surrounding countryside about the burden of having so many soldiers in the vicinity and the cost of billeting and feeding them. Worse still, there was much resentment about local men being forcibly impressed to serve in the parliamentary army. In May 1645, Algernon Sidney was appointed governor of the city and tasked with maintaining order. Later that year about 1,000 rural labourers gathered in protest on The Trundle. They were part of the Clubmen movement that wished to see all armies removed from their neighbourhoods and an end to impressment. It was said that army recruiters were ambushed and attacked and left ‘with blood running about their ears’.

The Clubmen were forcibly dispersed from their headquarters at Walberton and their leader shot. However the parliamentary committee in Sussex wished to pacify the county and Sussex was largely demilitarised by the end of 1646.

Henry King, the Bishop of Chichester was forced from his palace and deprived of his lucrative living at Petworth. Many of the ejected canons of the cathedral fell on hard times, one dying, destitute in a local alehouse. However one canon, William Oughtred, lived to see the Restoration of Charles II in 1660. It is said that the 85 year-old ‘died in a sudden extasy [sic] of joy’ on hearing the news. Two hundred years later, Canon Ashwell, Principal of Chichester Theological College, kept a cannon ball in pride of place on his mantelpiece, with the ironical note, ‘Presented by Sir W. Waller to the Dean and Chapter of Chichester 1642’.

17th century sword with (Courtesy of V&A Museum)

Religious and political feeling stirred up by the Civil War remained part of life in Chichester for many decades to come. In 1679, a mob attacked the Bishop’s Palace, after the bishop, Guy Carleton, refused to meet with the Duke of Monmouth when he visited the city. Carleton was derided as ‘an old popish rogue’. The Corporation of St Pancras – a mock corporation and dining club – was instituted in 1688 in commemoration of the landing of William of Orange and the overthrow of the Roman Catholic, James II. The Corporation still exists today, but as a charitable rather than sectarian organisation

Civil War comes to Chichester in June 1642

Many wealthy royalists lived in Chichester, or at least had homes in the city, including Sir John Morley, Sir Thomas Boyer and Christopher Lewknor. Opposing them were Henry Chitty, the captain of the local militia, known as the trained band, and the MP for Midhurst, William Cawley.

Heavy leather coat worn beneath a breastplate of European buffalo hide (Courtesy of V&A Museum)

In June 1642, the mayor, Robert Exon, read out the king’s proclamation calling on all loyal men to take up arms for the king. On 19th August, George Goring, the governor of Portsmouth, declared for the king. This was a massive blow to the parliamentary cause and a great boost to the morale of the Chichester royalists. However, Goring proved to be a fair-weather ally to the king and quickly surrendered when subject to a naval blockade by forces loyal to parliament. With Portsmouth back in parliamentary hands, Chitty and Cawley successfully requested cannon and gunpowder be sent from there to Chichester for the further defence of the city. In an attempt to win around opinion in Sussex to his cause, the king issued a further proclamation on 7th November granting full pardon to any inhabitant of Sussex who had rebelled against the Crown. However, the pardon specifically exempted Henry Chitty and Herbert Morley (no relation to Sir John Morley) who was Colonel of the trained bands of Lewes and de facto head of military operations in eastern Sussex.

Personalities involved

The Parliamentarians

William Cawley

William Cawley

 

Cawley was one of the signatories to the death warrant for King Charles I following the king’s trial in January 1649. After the Restoration he fled to Switzerland, where he died at Vevey in 1667. It was rumoured that his corpse was secretly smuggled back into England and buried in the grounds of Cawley’s almshouses.

 

 

Sir Arthur Haselrig

Sir Arthur Haselrig

 

The fanatical MP was sentenced to death after the Restoration as one of the regicides of 1649. The sentence was commuted to life imprisonment, but he died in the Tower of London soon after.

 

 

 

Algernon Sidney

Algenon Sidney

 

Sidney became military governor of Chichester in 1645 when he was only 23 years of age. After the Restoration, Sidney continued to harbour republican sympathies. In 1683 he was implicated in the Rye House plot to assassinate King Charles II and his brother, the Duke of York. He was hanged, drawn and quartered.

 

 

General Sir William Waller

Sir William Waller

 

Waller fell out with Cromwell and was imprisoned for several years. He helped negotiate the restoration of King Charles II to his throne in 1660, and eventually died in peaceful retirement in 1668.

 

 

 

 

 

The Royalists
Sir Edward Ford After taking up the royalist cause, Ford became something of an inventor during the Commonwealth. In 1658 he constructed a piped water supply from the Thames to the higher parts of London. He died in 1670.

Christopher Lewknor The royalist MP for Chichester was deeply loathed by the parliamentary faction in the city. His manor house at West Dean was seized and later demolished. He died, his health having broken down, in 1653.

Oliver Whitby Curate to Bishop Henry King of Chichester, Whitby was actually shot at by a parishioner while giving a sermon. He went on the run, at one point being sheltered by an old woman in her cottage, and at another spending several days hiding in a hollowed oak tree. He later became Archdeacon of Chichester and his son, also Oliver, founded and endowed the ‘bluecoat’ school for twelve poor boys that bore his name

INTERACTIVE MAP FOR TRAIL 6

Below is an interactive map for Trail 6 covering the Civil War in Chichester

To view the map you are recommended to enlarge it by clicking on the four-cornered symbol in the top right hand corner

Start by clicking on the vehicle symbol just below marker 1 and follow ths instructions moving from marker to marker.

Digital Trail 5 – Inns, Pubs and Hotels

Introduction

Chichester’s earliest inns can be traced back to mediaeval times when they catered for pilgrims visiting the shrine of St Richard in the cathedral. Over time they came to serve all types of travellers, who needed rest and food after travelling along the notoriously bad Sussex roads. By the middle of the seventeenth century there were seven inns in Chichester, as well as 50 alehouses, taverns, and other premises that sold drink. Given the population was only 2,000 people at the time, of whom over half were women and children, it can be seen that Chichester was a boozy city and remained so until the beginning of the twentieth century. Today there are only a dozen public houses in the city centre and no inns. Many of the city’s old inns have been converted into restaurants or private accommodation. This trail includes both former as well as current pubs and inns. We begin at the western end of West Street.

Below is an interactive map for Trail 5 covering Inns, Pubs and Hotels

NOTE This digital trail includes additional hostelries as compared with the downloadable trail

To view the map you are recommended to enlarge it by clicking on the four-cornered symbol in the top right hand corner

Start by clicking on the pedestrian symbol at the end of West Street. To follow the guide walk back along West Street Street and follow the orange line and marker number sequence in a cgeneral lockwise direction, clicking on each marker for more information about the building or object. The tour ends where you began, at end of West Street.

Digital Trail 4 – South-West Quadrant

General Introduction

Chichester’s four principal streets still mainly follow the pattern of the Roman settlement, founded nearly two thousand years ago. The city walls – remarkably intact for an English town – also follow the Roman plan and contain masonry from the original construction. These four city centre walks explore each of Chichester’s historic quadrants that are divided by the four principal thoroughfares of North, South, East and West streets. Each quadrant has its own special atmosphere and distinctive history. A great rebuilding from the late seventeenth century replaced or re-fronted timber-framed thatched houses with the characteristic Georgian street scene of brick and stucco buildings that exists today.

South-West Quadrant

Chichester’s south-west quadrant is dominated by the cathedral and the Cathedral Close. Here Edmund Blunden beheld “its own simple character of communicative quietness”, while E.V. Lucas observed that, “whatever noise may be in the air you know in your heart that quietude is its true character”. Even in 2016 these statements still hold true. As well as the Close and the cloisters of the cathedral, there are also the Bishop’s gardens to enjoy. This trail also includes the west side of South Street and the River Lavant. The east side of South Street is included in Trail 3.

Below is an interactive map for Trail 4 covering the South-West Quadrant of the City.

NOTE This trail includes a visit to the Bishop’s Garden which closes each day towards the evening, so plan your walk accordingly.

To view the map you are recommended to enlarge it by clicking on the four-cornered symbol in the top right hand corner

Start by clicking on the pedestrian symbol at the top right corner at The Market Cross. To follow the guide walk south along South Street and follow the orange line and marker number sequence in a clockwise direction, clicking on each marker for more information about the building or object. The tour ends where you began, at The Market Cross.

Digital Trail 3- South-East Quadrant

General Introduction

Chichester’s four principal streets still mainly follow the pattern of the Roman settlement, founded nearly two thousand years ago. The city walls – remarkably intact for an English town – also follow the Roman plan and contain masonry from the original construction. These four city centre walks explore each of Chichester’s historic quadrants that are divided by the four principal thoroughfares of North, South, East and West streets. Each quadrant has its own special atmosphere and distinctive history. A great rebuilding from the late seventeenth century replaced or re-fronted timber-framed thatched houses with the characteristic Georgian street scene of brick and stucco buildings that exists today.

South-East Quadrant

This is very much a walk of two contrasting halves: the former inns and chapels of East Street, South Street and the New Town area, and the pristine Georgian solemnity of the Pallants area. The former has changed markedly in recent decades, while the Pallants has changed very little, remaining a bastion of high quality housing and offices for professional workers. This trail includes the east side of South Street and the south side of East Street. The west side of South Street is included in Trail 4 and the north side of East Street in Trail 2.

Below is an interactive map for Trail 3 covering the South-East Quadrant of the City. To view the map you are recommended to enlarge it by clicking on the four-cornered symbol in the top right hand corner

Start by clicking on the pedestrian symbol at the top left corner at The Market Cross. To follow the guide walk east along East Street and follow the orange line and marker number sequence in a clockwise direction, clicking on each marker for more information about the building or object. The tour ends where you began, at The Market Cross.

 

Digital Trail 2 -North-East Quadrant

General Introduction

Chichester’s four principal streets still mainly follow the pattern of the Roman settlement, founded nearly two thousand years ago. The city walls – remarkably intact for an English town – also follow the Roman plan and contain masonry from the original construction. These four city centre walks explore each of Chichester’s historic quadrants that are divided by the four principal thoroughfares of North, South, East and West streets. Each quadrant has its own special atmosphere and distinctive history. A great rebuilding from the late seventeenth century replaced or re-fronted timber-framed thatched houses with the characteristic Georgian street scene of brick and stucco buildings that exists today.

North-East Quadrant

This part of Chichester once had five churches and a Franciscan Friary; today three of the churches have been lost and the remaining two, along with the priory chapel, have been converted to secular uses. The open greenery of Priory Park, framed by the city walls, gives a sense of space and peace to the north-east quadrant. This trail includes the east side of North Street and the north side of East Street. The west side of North Street is included in Trail 1 and the south side of East Street in Trail 3.

Below is an interactive map for Trail 2 covering the North-East Quadrant of the City. To view the map you are recommended to enlarge it by clicking on the four-cornered symbol in the top right hand corner

Start by clicking on the pedestrian symbol at the bottom left corner at The Market Cross. To follow the guide walk north along North Street and follow the orange line and marker number sequence in a clockwise direction, clicking on each marker for more information about the building or object. The tour ends where you began, at The Market Cross.

Digital Trail 1- North-West Quadrant


General Introduction

Chichester’s four principal streets still mainly follow the pattern of the Roman settlement, founded nearly two thousand years ago. The city walls – remarkably intact for an English town – also follow the Roman plan and contain masonry from the original construction. These four city centre walks explore each of Chichester’s historic quadrants that are divided by the four principal thoroughfares of North, South, East and West streets. Each quadrant has its own special atmosphere and distinctive history. A great rebuilding from the late seventeenth century replaced or re-fronted timber-framed thatched houses with the characteristic Georgian street scene of brick and stucco buildings that exists today.

North-West Quadrant

The North-West Quadrant was, prior to the eighteenth century, dominated by market gardens and livestock farming, including slaughterhouses. Today, among the older buildings, are the modern administrative centres of a county town, including County Hall, Chichester Library and the Novium Museum. The south side of West Street (including the cathedral) is included in Trail 4, and the east side of North Street is included in Trail 2.

Below is an interactive map for Trail 1 covering the North-West Quadrant of the City. To view the map you are recommended to enlarge it by clicking on the four-cornered symbol in the top right hand corner

Start by clicking on the pedestrian symbol at the bottom right corner at The Market Cross. To follow the guide walk west along West Street and follow the orange line and marker number sequence in a clockwise direction, clicking on each marker for more information about the building or object. The tour ends where you began, at The Market Cross.