Enjoy a tour of Chichester and find where the photographs were taken.
The page below shows just 16 of 47 images for you to locate within the City. Download the complete guide by clicking here or on the image and receive a map with indicative locations.
The text below provides some information on the various items and can also be downloaded here.
The following provides brief information about the photographs included in the Chichester I-Spy quiz, with some links to other sites.
1. Site of former Shippams Paste factory. Probably Chichester’s best known local firm, dating back to the 18th century and closed in 2002. Now housing retail outlets with apartments above. The former clock and wishbone were reinstated. For more information: http://www.thenovium.org/article/28861/The-History-of-Shippams
2. Noli me Tangere – a 1960 painting by Graham Sutherland, which is displayed on the altar of the Mary Magdalene chapel at the south-eastern corner of the Cathedral. For more information: www.chichestercathedral.org.uk/about-us/delve-deeper-1/graham-sutherland-painting/
3. 18th century Sadlers Warehouse, converted to apartments, providing evidence of Chichester’s former commercial base.
4. Wall surrounding part of the Bishop’s Palace Garden.
5. The front entrance of Pallant House, a Grade One listed Queen Anne town house, now housing part of the Pallant House Gallery. Known locally as “Dodo House” because the owner, Henry Peckham, wanted ostriches carved on columns (ostriches appear on his family coat of arms). However the person who carved them had probably never seen an ostrich and they are said to look more like dodos.
6. The Oxmarket Gallery is located within a deconsecrated medieval church (St Andrews), which is a Grade Two * listed building. It is an art centre run by volunteers since the early 1970s. For more information: https://oxmarket.com/ .
7. St John’s the Evangelist’s Church is a Grade One listed building, built in 1812. For more information http://www.stjohnschapelchichester.co.uk/
8. Art or graffiti? ‘The Big Deal’ which shows children swapping bank notes at North Pallant. Created by street artist JPS who also created the cat on the corner of West Pallant and South Street. For more information : https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/new-banksy-inspired-graffitispotted-in-chichester-1-7303219
9. The Grade One listed Cathedral Bell Tower (viewed from the Bishops Palace Garden). An early 15th century structure unique among England’s medieval cathedrals in that it is free-standing.
10. Now a hotel, this plaque marks the former home of Admiral Sir George Murray (1759 – 1819). For more information: https://admiralsirgeorgemurray.club/
11. The Deanery, a Grade Two* listed building, erected in 1725 by Dean Thomas Sherlock. It is understood that the former deanery was destroyed in a siege in 1643.
12. City Gunpowder Store – Self-explanatory.
13. The entrance to gardens marking the site of St Martin’s Church. The medieval flint walls of the former church now enclosing part of a garden
14. Thomas Iveson and Richard Hook black plaquelLocated on the wall of the Providence Chapel, which is still in use for worship today.
15. One of two crane sculptures reflecting the name of the street within which it is located.
16. The Novium Museum, home to the Tourist Information Centre, with changing exhibitions and permanent displays, including Roman remains. For more information: http://www.thenovium.org/
17. Quaker Meeting House plaque – Self-explanatory. For more information on the history of Quakers in Chichester: https://michaelwoolley.weebly.com
18. Chichester Cathedral, viewed from the Bishops Palace Garden. Over 900 years old, this Grade One listed building is currently undergoing extensive restoration work costing some £5.8 million. Its spire is visible from the sea and used as an aid to navigation. In 1861 the spire collapsed due to building works below to provide for a new organ, which destabilised the tower. It was rebuilt in just five years, with the original weathercock re-fixed at the top. For more information: https://www.chichestercathedral.org.uk/
19. One of several access points to the City walls. To ease the flow of traffic into Chichester West, North and South gates were demolished in 1773. Eastgate was demolished in 1783.
20. County Hall, home to West Sussex County Council.
21. West Sussex Library Headquarters, a Grade Two listed building built in 1965-6 to the designs of the county architect. The building was formally opened on 24 January 1967 by Asa Briggs, Vice-chancellor elect of the University of Sussex.
22. Lion atop The Council House (giving nearby Lion Street its name). This comprises a group of connected buildings built at different times between 1731 and 1881. The buildings remain in regular use by various organisations including Chichester City Council.
23. A former Grade Two Listed Council building now housing a retail outlet and offices.
24. North House, built in 1936 and currently in retail and residential use. Ordnance Survey maps of the 1930’s indicate there was possibly a hotel in this location. .
25. A plaque possibly relating to the former restaurant at the top of North Street known as Number One.
26. The Grade One listed Guildhall set amid Priory Park, which is bordered by the Roman City Walls to the north and east and contains the remains of Chichester Castle (a Norman motte and bailey castle). It was constructed as a chancel by the Grey Friars of Chichester, being a good example of late 13th-century architecture. It is one of the few Franciscan churches in England that is still roofed.
27. Tapestry by John Piper at the high altar in Chichester Cathedral.
28. Gold dolphin and anchor reflecting the name of a former hotel in this location. These began as two separate establishments, The Dolphin and The Anchor, but merged in 1910. It remained a hotel until 1996 when it was sold.
29. Eric Gill plaque – Self-explanatory. For more information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Gill
30. The site of the former Oliver Whitby School, currently in retail use. Founded in 1702, for 12 scholars, the school closed at the end of 1949, merging with Christ’s Hospital School near Horsham. The school motto Vis et Sapientia (strength and wisdom) is still visible on the upper level.
31. Crooked S Lane was once called The Shambles and was full of slaughterhouses, where butchers threw offal into the street.
32. Decorative stonework outside Edes House, constructed in 1696 for John and Hannah Edes. It has been known by various names during its history, including Wren’s House (in the mistaken belief that it was the work of the famous architect). It is now owned by the County Council and used for weddings and other functions.
33. Small door within Canon Gate, or the gatehouse to Canon Lane, probably constructed around the 16th century. The area fell into disrepair and the space
between the smaller arches was used as a stable. In 1894 it was restored and the upper story reconstructed.
34. An ancient tree within the Bishops Palace Gardens.
35. A bronze statue of St Richard of Chichester by Philip Jackson.
36. A recently installed statue of Keats. He looks down East Street towards Chichester Cathedral and other landmarks mentioned in his famous poem, “The Eve of St Agnes”. Behind him is the building in which he started writing the poem.
37. Location of Halsteds Foundry – Self-explanatory. For more information on the history of Halsteds http://chichestersociety.org.uk/halsteds-the-ironmongers-chis-long-forgottenindustrial-history/
38. A sign advertising the wares of a related shop, especially helpful for those who could not read.
39. Interesting architectural detail in one of the few remaining jettied timber framed buildings in Chichester.
40. Railings that escaped removal during the war effort. It is understood that some were relocated from the nearby cattle market.
41. The site of the Swan Inn, a key building in the centre of Chichester throughout the 18th and 19th century, destroyed by fire in 1819 and rebuilt. Visitors included Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1842. It was again destroyed by fire in 1897 and forced to close. The London and County Bank rebuilt on the site in a gothic style and that building is now Grade Two listed. The bank sign can still be seen carved into the building above the main entrance.
42. The Clock House is a converted coach house, now used for tourist accommodation.
43. Art or graffiti? Created by artist Stik, whose Stick-like figures are highly sought after with celebrity followers including Sir Elton John and Bono. For more information on street art in Chichester https://pallantbookshop.com/the-chichester-street-art-festival/
44. The Grade One listed Market Cross, erected in 1501 by Bishop Storey. One had to pay a toll to sell goods at the market but some poor peasants only had a few eggs or a few vegetables to sell. The bishop said anyone could sell things at the market and not pay a toll provided they could stand under the cross. In 1726 four clocks were added to the cross.
45. Detail of a window in a medical practice next door to Edes House (see no. 32), which was removed from that larger neighbouring property.
46. 18th-century sundial on the south face of the angle buttress of the Chichester Cathedral.
47. St Olave Church in North Street For more information: http://sussexchurchez.blogspot.com/2007/11/st-olave-north-streetchichester.html